Tuesday 5 April 2016

In What Ways Does Your Media Product Use, Develop Or Challenge Forms And Conventions Of Real Media Products? - Teaser Trailer

As part of my marketing campaign, I had to make a teaser trailer.



Before I could start planning my teaser trailer, I needed to understand what their conventions were in order to make mine authentic.

My first task was to watch theatrical trailers and teaser trailers and compare the two.


It quickly became clear that teaser trailers were a lot shorter than theatrical trailers. Theatrical trailers also had more narrative; giving away more of the story, slower editing and introduced you to more characters. In comparison, teaser trailers provided a tease, revealing little about the story, introduction to few characters, fast editing and lots of fades. After this, I decided to conduct research on the conventions of teaser trailers.


As expected, I found that all teaser trailers had the same conventions despite their different genres. These conventions included images from the film, sound effects, tag lines, billings, etc. 


After deciding on the genre of my film, I decided to look at action film teaser trailers to identify the genre specific conventions which are used. 


I found that action film teaser trailers tended to have slow editing at the start with slower music, but as the trailer progressed, the tempo of the music and editing increased. There were also lots of fades and impact sounds. Due to my research, I added these in to my teaser trailer to make it feel as authentic as possible.

Here are all the conventions I found for action film teaser trailers:

No comments:

Post a Comment